Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Short Demise of the Pink Auto Rickshaw

In mid-February, I saw my first pink covered auto-rickshaw. I wrote this post wondering exactly what the deal was.

As you can tell from the photo, the purported "intent" was to provide a gender-specific (and seemingly safe) mode of transport. Fast forward two months and I've seen the pink rickshaws out and about again in the streets of Gurgaon. With one slight change. The "womens only" markings have been removed and now it's just a funny looking plain green auto-rickshaw with a pink lid.

Apparently, the little experiment failed. I think that's a good thing. In one tiny little way, it seems like the women of Gurgaon are safer. At the least, there isn't a blinking sign indicating that there's a woman on board these cheap little modes of transport.

1 comment:

  1. I think the pink ones did make much sense for the woman, but for the driver with India's abysmal male-female ratio, it was uneconomical.

    ReplyDelete